I used this as the base recipe for SL Banana Split Cake, increasing the recipe by half and baking it in a tube pan for 50 minutes. I added 1/2 cup each of toasted walnuts, shredded coconut and finely chopped reconstituted dried pineapple to the dry ingredients, and after the cake had cooled I split it in half horizontally and filled and topped it with thin layers of SL Fudge Frosting before pouring on the cream cheese glaze in the SL recipe (though half the amount). Garnished with more walnuts and coconut and a dozen maraschino cherries, this made an impressive presentation and was very moist and flavorful - and was much lighter than the original!
Banana Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
Mashed banana adds more than just flavor to this cake--it also keeps the layers moist.
Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 307
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 8.2g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3g
- Protein: 3.9g
- Carbohydrate: 55.6g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 165mg
- Calcium: 38mg
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2/3 cup (about 5 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Remaining ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons flaked sweetened coconut, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare cake, coat 2 (8-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray; line bottoms with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Place granulated sugar, oil, 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract, egg whites, and egg in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add mashed banana; beat well. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on wire racks; remove from pans. Peel off wax paper; cool completely on wire racks.
- To prepare frosting, place cream cheese and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Add powdered sugar; beat at low speed until smooth.
- Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 1/2 cup icing, and top with other cake layer. Spread remaining icing over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle pecans and coconut over top of cake. Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Banana Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This