Banana Layer Cake
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 1/4 cup(s) cake flour sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) nutmeg
- 3/4 cup(s) unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 3 whole(s) large eggs
- 2 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup(s) very ripe mashed bananas
- 2 1/4 tablespoon(s) plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon(s) unflavored gelatin
- 4 tablespoon(s) cold water
- 2 cup(s) whipping cream
- 2-3 whole(s) fresh firm bananas
- 1 cup(s) pecans chopped
- 8 ounce(s) caramel or butterscoth ice cream topping
- 2-3 ounce(s) whole pecan halves
- For Cake:
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly brush sides and bottom of 10" sprinform pan with butter. Chill in refrigerator until ready to use.
- 2. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices into a small bowl and set aside.
- 3. Whip the butter with an electric mixer at medium speed until very light. Gradually beat in the sugar and continue to beat until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in vanilla flavoring.
- 4. Lower the mixer speed to slow. Add 1/2 the flour mixture alternating with the mashed bananas. Add the second 1/2 of the flour mixture alternating with the yogurt. Do not over mix. Finish mixing by hand with a large rubber spatula.
- 5. Pour the batter into chilled pan and bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of the cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan for 10-15 minutes. Remove from pan to cool completely. When cooled, cut cake into two layers and set aside
- *Note: Recipe is for a two layer banana cake. If a three-layer cake is desired, simply cut the original 10" cake into three layers. If a four-layer cake is desired it will be necessary to double the recipe and bake two 10" cakes to cut into four layers.
- For Filling:
- 1. In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water to soften. Scald 1/2 cup of the cream and pour over softened gelatin. Stir until completely dissolved. Cool. whip remaining cream until soft peaks form. Add 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping and cream-gelatin mixture and beat until stiff peaks form.
- 1. Spread a thin layer of remaining ice cream topping on bottom layer of cake. Sprinkle 1/2 cup nuts on top. Cover completely with sliced bananas. Spread just enough cream mixture to cover bananas. Add top layer of cake. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining cream mixture/icing. Decorate by placing whole pecans at bottom edge of cake. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by vermit and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note