Well I tried this recipe again with the only departures being 1% milk and whole-grain bread, and it was disappointing for being so high-calorie. Despite all the caramel and chocolate chips, the liquid needs to be sweetened to give the bread part some flavor. Given that my first attempt got a higher rating, I suppose I will have to return to it next time, if there is one.
Banana-Caramel Bread Pudding
Roxanne Chan created this rich, creamy bread pudding to mimic the flavors of a favorite bar cookie.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 388
- Calories from fat: 49%
- Protein: 9.5g
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated fat: 9.4g
- Carbohydrate: 46g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Sodium: 273mg
- Cholesterol: 106mg
- 4 cups 1-inch cubes sturdy white bread
- 2 bananas (8 oz. total), peeled and sliced crosswise
- 1 cup (6 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 1/2 cup prepared caramel sauce, at room temperature
- 3 cups milk (whole or 2%)
- 3 large eggs
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. Arrange bread cubes evenly in a buttered 9-inch square baking pan. Arrange banana slices over bread cubes, then sprinkle with chocolate and nuts. Drizzle caramel sauce evenly over top.
- 2. In a blender, whirl milk, eggs, cream cheese, and cinnamon until smooth. Pour over bread cubes. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes.
- 3. Bake in a 325° regular or convection oven until top is set, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Let stand at least 10 minutes after removing from oven, then serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts