I liked this banana bread but I wouldn't say it was anything special. I've definitely liked other recipes better. I did not make the chocolate glaze and cut the sugar by a little less than half since I think the sweetness of the bananas gives the bread a lot of extra sweetness. It turned out plenty sweet, and didn't seem to interfere with the texture. It actually baked up quite nicely, didn't have to keep putting it back in or covering it. I think mine took about 50 minutes total. I dusted the pan with cinnamon after lightly coating it with cooking spray to make it a little more interesting. I wouldn't necessarily make this again, but it wasn't bad by any means, just nothing special.
Banana Bread with Chocolate Glaze
Most tempting of all our quick breads.
Mom's Banana Bread, a recipe dating back to 1996, when it was submitted by reader Stacey A. Johnson, has been a consistent staff and reader favorite. The new chocolate topping makes it even more irresistible.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 52 Minutes
- Calories: 184
- Fat: 5.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 32.6g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 190mg
- Calcium: 18mg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 2/3 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 large egg whites
- 9 ounces unbleached all-purpose flour (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 2 1/2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Combine sugar and butter in a bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add banana, milk, sour cream, and egg whites.
- 3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture to banana mixture; beat just until blended (do not overbeat). Spoon batter into a 9 x 5-inch metal loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool on rack.
- 4. Place half-and-half and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH for 1 minute or until chocolate melts, stirring every 20 seconds. Cool slightly; drizzle over bread.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This