Good recipe that is easy to follow. Not too sweet. I would probably make it again when I need to get rid of bananas. Very pretty, so would be appropriate for special occasions. I did not alter the ingredients and followed the instructions as is. I may double the sugar filling and topping next time to get some more sweetness and crunch. I may serve with vanilla ice cream next time.
Banana Almond Cake
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 333
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Protein: 6.5g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 5.5g
- Carbohydrate: 52g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Sodium: 371mg
- Cholesterol: 74mg
- 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 1/4 cups mashed ripe banana
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1. Melt 1/4 cup of the butter. Pour 2 tablespoons of the melted butter into an 8-cup bundt pan; brush the butter over pan sides and bottom. Mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and almonds. Sprinkle bottom of pan with half the brown sugar mixture; combine the remaining mixture with the remaining melted butter; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat remaining 1/4 cup butter with granulated sugar until blended. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until blended. Beat in orange peel and banana.
- 3. Mix all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add to banana mixture along with the buttermilk; stir until well blended.
- 4. Pour half the batter into prepared pan. Spoon remaining brown sugar mixture evenly over top; cover with remaining batter.
- 5. Bake in a 350° oven until a long wood skewer inserted into the thickest part of the cake comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool the cake on a rack about 5 minutes, then invert cake onto a serving plate. Serve the cake warm or cool.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch