- 2 pounds fresh haricots verts (tiny green beans), trimmed
- 6 large shallots
- Vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup lightly salted roasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked and crumbled bacon (about 5 slices)
How to Make It
Cook beans in boiling salted water to cover 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Plunge beans into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain.
Cut shallots crosswise into thin slices; separate into rings. Pour oil to depth of 1 inch into a heavy saucepan; heat over medium-high heat to 350°. Fry shallots, in batches, 1 to 2 minutes or until crisp. Remove from skillet using a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
Cook vinegar and sugar in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 5 to 6 minutes or until reduced to 3 Tbsp. Stir in butter until blended. Add beans, and sauté 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated; season with salt and pepper to taste. Arrange on a serving platter. Top with shallots, almonds, and bacon. Serve immediately.