This was really good and so easy to make. I used ciabatta bread and I used my pannini press instead of using a heavy skillet. My son put thousand island dressing on his. I served it with a 3 bean salad. Will definitly be making this again.
Balsamic-Glazed Chicken and Bell Pepper Sandwiches
Balsamic vinegar cooks down to a glaze that clings to the sandwich fillings, adding a hint of sweetness and a touch of acidity. Pressing the sandwich after assembling it conducts the heat from the chicken and cooked vegetables to melt the cheese.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 433
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 11.4g
- Saturated fat: 4.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 34g
- Carbohydrate: 49g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 68mg
- Iron: 3.6mg
- Sodium: 709mg
- Calcium: 170mg
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/4 pounds chicken breast tenders
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar, divided
- 2 cups red bell pepper strips (about 2 medium)
- 2 cups vertically sliced onion (about 1 large)
- 2 (8-ounce) loaves focaccia bread, cut in half horizontally
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt over chicken. Add chicken to pan; cook 1 minute on each side or until lightly browned. Add 1/4 cup vinegar; cook 2 minutes or until chicken is done and vinegar is syrupy. Remove chicken mixture from the pan; cover and keep warm. Wipe pan clean with a paper towel.
- Return pan to medium-high heat; add remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add bell pepper and onion; sauté 7 minutes or until tender. Stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 cup vinegar; cook 1 minute or until vinegar is syrupy.
- Arrange chicken mixture evenly over bottom halves of bread; top with bell pepper mixture. Arrange cheese over pepper mixture, and sprinkle with black pepper. Top with top halves of bread. Place a cast-iron or heavy skillet on top of sandwiches; let stand 5 minutes. Cut each sandwich into 6 wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches