Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1/3 cup(s) balsamic vinegar
- 4 cup(s) pitted, halved cherries
- 1 pinch(s) salt
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 rounds refrigerated pie dough (from one 14.1-oz box) room temp
- fresh lemon juice if necessary
- 1 egg white, beaten, for brushing
- Bring vinegar to a low simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Swirling pan occasionally, cook until reduced by half, 5 minutes. Add cherries and salt and cook, stirring, until juices release, 5 minutes. Stir in sugar and tapioca; remove from heat and let stand, stirring now and then, until cooled and thickened, 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F. Unroll 1 pie dough round on a lightly floured work surface; roll out to an 11-inch round. Center dough on an 8- or 9-inch pie plate; use your fingers to gently press dough into place along sides. Trim crust if necessary, leaving a 1-inch overhang. Refrigerate until ready to fill.
- Once cherry filling has cooled, check consistency: It should be a loose jelly. If too thick, stir in lemon juice by the teaspoon. If too thin, stir in ¼ to ½ tsp more tapioca. Pour into chilled pie crust.
- Unroll second pie dough round on a lightly floured work surface; roll out to an 11-inch round. Using a star-shaped cookie cutter, cut out stars, reserving cutouts. Lay second dough round over filling, then fold under edges and crimp (see below). Dip a finger in water, moisten back of a star cutout, then reattach to crust, slightly askew. (Water will help dough adhere.) Repeat with remaining star cutouts. Brush top crust with egg white. Put pie on a rimmed baking sheet; transfer to oven and bake until crust is golden and filling is bubbly, about 1 hour. For easiest slicing, let cool about 3 hours.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by ChrisBovi and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Balsamic-Cherry Pie Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts