- Cooking spray
- 4 pounds beef short ribs, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 cups finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup minced garlic (about 12 cloves)
- 2 cups low-salt beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups chopped plum tomato
- 2 1/2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 3/4 cup warm 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- calories 463
- caloriesfromfat 26 %
- fat 13.4 g
- satfat 5.6 g
- monofat 5.7 g
- polyfat 0.7 g
- protein 27.2 g
- carbohydrate 53.5 g
- fiber 4.2 g
- cholesterol 64 mg
- iron 4 mg
- sodium 649 mg
- calcium 100 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 300°.
To prepare ribs, heat a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Sprinkle ribs with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add half of ribs to pan; cook 8 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally. Remove from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining ribs; remove from pan.
Add onion to pan; sauté 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Return ribs to pan. Add broth, wine, vinegar, sugar, and tomato; bring to a simmer.
Cover and bake at 300° for 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Cool slightly. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
Skim fat from surface of broth mixture; discard fat. Cook over medium heat 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
To prepare mashed potatoes, place potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook 20 minutes or until very tender. Drain. Combine potatoes, milk, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Mash potato mixture with a potato masher. Serve with ribs and cooking liquid.