Great twist! The mushrooms had tons of flavor after marinating and were tender and "meaty." I used feta, and it gave the burgers a creamy tang. My only complaint was that the balsamic mayo was a little bit too much, since there was vinegar in the marinade, too.
Balsamic-Blue Cheese Portobello Burgers
If you don't love blue cheese, use goat cheese (chèvre) or feta cheese for an equally delicious, tangy flavor. Gills are the brownish-black walls on the underside of mushroom caps. Scrape them off gently using a spoon. Removing gills keeps other ingredients from turning a grayish brown.
More From Southern Living
Chill: 1 Hour
Grill: 8 Minutes
- Calories: 321
- Calories from fat: 43%
- Fat: 15.3g
- Saturated fat: 4.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 4.3g
- Protein: 9.2g
- Carbohydrate: 34g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 705mg
- Calcium: 143mg
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps, stemmed
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese or Gorgonzola cheese
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Romaine lettuce leaves
- 2 tomato slices
- Scrape gills from mushroom caps, if desired.
- Combine 3 tablespoons vinegar, oil, and next 3 ingredients in a shallow dish or large zip-top plastic freezer bag; add mushrooms, turning to coat. Cover or seal, and chill 1 hour, turning occasionally. Remove mushrooms from marinade, discarding marinade.
- Grill mushrooms, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until tender. Remove mushrooms from grill, and immediately sprinkle undersides evenly with blue cheese.
- Stir together mayonnaise and 1 teaspoon vinegar. Spread mixture evenly on cut sides of buns; place lettuce, mushrooms, and tomato slices on bottom halves of buns, and cover with tops. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note