Baklava (bahk-lah-VAH) is a sweet dessert made with layers of butter-drenched pastry, spices and nuts. A honey-lemon syrup is poured over the baked warm pastry and left to soak. The dessert is traditionally cut into triangles. Purchasing You can find mini fillo shells in the freezer section of your supermarket.
- Cookie Base:
- 1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 frozen mini fillo shells (from 2.1-oz package)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 1. Heat oven to 350Â°F. Spray bottom only of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.
- 2. In large bowl, stir cookie base ingredients until soft dough forms. Press dough in bottom of pan. Bake 15 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, stir walnuts, granulated sugar, 1/4 cup butter, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and the salt with fork until mixture is well mixed and crumbly.
- 4. Sprinkle nut mixture evenly over partially baked base. With hands, crumble frozen fillo shells evenly over nut mixture. Bake 18 to 20 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- 5. Meanwhile, in small microwavable bowl, microwave 1/3 cup honey, 2 tablespoons butter, the brown sugar, lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon uncovered on High 1 minute or until bubbly. Stir in vanilla.
- 6. Drizzle honey mixture evenly over fillo. Cool completely, about 2 hours.
- 7. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. Before serving, drizzle 1/2 teaspoon honey over each bar. Store covered at room temperature.
- High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): In step 2, bake crust 17 minutes.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Dansana and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Baklava Bars Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts