Photo: J. Savage Gibson; Styling: Mary Lyn Hill
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 (3-inch) stick cinnamon
- 12 cups finely chopped pecans (3 pounds, shelled)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 1 pound unsalted butter, melted
- Whole cloves
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Immediately remove from heat; cool syrup completely.
- Combine pecans and next 3 ingredients, stirring well.
- Cut phyllo sheets in half crosswise; cover with plastic wrap.
- Brush 2 (13- x 9- x 2-inch) baking pans with melted butter. Place 8 phyllo sheets in 1 pan, brushing each sheet with butter; top with 2 cups pecan mixture.
- Place 3 phyllo sheets over pecan mixture, brushing each sheet with butter; top with 2 cups pecan mixture. Repeat with 3 more phyllo sheets and 2 cups pecan mixture; top with 6 phyllo sheets, brushing all but the top sheet with butter. Repeat procedure with remaining phyllo sheets, butter, and pecan mixture in second pan.
- Cut layers diagonally into 3/4-inch diamonds; gently brush with remaining butter. Insert a clove in center of each diamond.
- Bake at 300° for 1 hour. Remove from oven, and pour syrup evenly over baklava. Cool completely in pans on wire racks.
- Cut again diagonally; remove from pans, and store in airtight containers at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts