My fussy spouse enjoyed this the first time I served it, which was fine. The clincher is that when I reheated the frozen leftovers some weeks later he raved! That is unusual. When I said I would save the recipe he agreed wholeheartedly. I served it with a simple salad with cherry pie for dessert.m. A hit!
Baked Ziti with Vegetables and Mushrooms
A favorite in many homes on "Italian night," baked ziti is usually laden with meat and cheese. This version relies on the flavors of mushrooms and spinach instead.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 237
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 6.3g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 11.6g
- Carbohydrate: 35g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
- Iron: 3.8mg
- Sodium: 588mg
- Calcium: 213mg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped portobello, cremini, or button mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 7 cups torn spinach (about 1/2 pound)
- 3 cups hot cooked ziti (about 2 1/4 cups uncooked short tube-shaped pasta)
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell peppers, and sauté 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in basil, salt, black pepper, tomatoes, and tomato sauce, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes or until slightly thick. Stir in spinach; cook 1 minute or until spinach wilts. Stir in pasta. Spoon into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Dollop with ricotta.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Note: To make ahead, assemble casserole as directed. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature, and bake as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This