Baked Ziti with Sausage
- 12 ounces uncooked ziti pasta
- 4 ounces pancetta or bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (1-lb.) package ground Italian sausage
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup firmly packed torn fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 (8-oz.) package shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare ziti according to package directions for al dente.
Meanwhile, cook pancetta in a large skillet over medium-high heat 3 minutes. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add sausage, and sauté 5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Add wine, and cook 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and next 3 ingredients. Reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes.
Stir ricotta and 1 cup mozzarella cheese into hot cooked pasta. Lightly grease a 13- x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Transfer pasta mixture to prepared dish, and top with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly.