This was a very good recipe. I used homemade tomato instead of store bought. I really liked the red sauce/white sauce combination. Made some for the freezer too.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 25 Minutes
Stand: 10 Minutes
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (26-ounce) jar tomato-and-basil pasta sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 (16-ounce) box ziti pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded mozzarella cheese
- Sauté chopped onion in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Add beef, and cook, stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain beef mixture, and return to pan. Stir in pasta sauce and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Cook pasta in a large Dutch oven according to package directions. Drain and return to Dutch oven.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in Parmesan cheese, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Pour sauce over pasta in Dutch oven, stirring until pasta is evenly coated.
- Transfer pasta mixture to a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Top evenly with beef mixture; sprinkle evenly with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes