- 3 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (8-ounce) package cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) pre-shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded mozzarella and provolone cheese blend
- calories 266
- fat 8.8 g
- satfat 4.7 g
- protein 13.4 g
- carbohydrate 32.8 g
- cholesterol 22 mg
- iron 1.5 mg
- sodium 446 mg
- caloriesfromfat 29 %
- fiber 2.9 g
- calcium 221 mg
How to Make It
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
While pasta cooks, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add asparagus, mushrooms, bell pepper, and onion; sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add artichokes and sherry. Cook, stirring frequently, 3 minutes or until most of liquid evaporates. Stir in basil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. .
Combine 1/2 cup milk and flour; whisk until smooth. Combine flour mixture, 2 cups milk, and butter in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 20 minutes or until thick and bubbly. Stir in Parmesan cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Combine pasta, vegetables, and white sauce. Spoon into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese blend, and bake 7 minutes or until cheese melts.