- 10 slices bacon
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 12 medium turnips, peeled, cooked, and mashed
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 (5.33-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3 slices bread, toasted and crumbled
- 2 teaspoons chopped green onion tops
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
How to Make It
Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; remove bacon, reserving 2 tablespoons bacon drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon, and set aside.
Sauté onion, garlic, and green pepper in reserved bacon drippings until tender. Stir in mashed turnips; cook over low heat 30 minutes. Remove from heat, and add yolks, milk, bread, green onion tops, and parsley; stir well.
Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 2-quart casserole, and sprinkle with reserved crumbled bacon. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes.