Excellent recipe. I was a bit skeptical if the sauce would turn out, since I don't typically associate peanut butter with tomato sauce and ginger, but it was wonderful. I would agree with other reviewers that the amount of sauce was not substantive; I would recommend doubling the sauce recipe. I also think the sauce would pair well with chicken, although I haven't tried it. Bottom line: delicious, healthy, quick preparation, inexpensive ingredients.
Baked Sweet Potatoes with West African-Style Peanut Sauce
Peanuts are integral to West African cooking. The nutty, spicy flavors in the filling complement the sweet potato. Serve with grilled chicken and Broccolini.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 stuffed potato)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 231
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 6.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 5.4g
- Carbohydrate: 38.7g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 355mg
- Calcium: 37mg
- 6 medium sweet potatoes (about 3 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Pierce potatoes with a fork, and bake at 375° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool potatoes slightly.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion, ginger, and garlic; cook 3 minutes. Add cumin, coriander, and pepper; cook 1 minute. Add 3/4 cup water and next 4 ingredients (through salt), stirring until smooth; bring to a simmer. Cook 2 minutes or until thick.
- Split potatoes lengthwise, cutting to, but not through, other side. Spoon about 1/4 cup sauce into each potato. Top each serving with 1 teaspoon cilantro.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Baked Sweet Potatoes with West African-Style Peanut Sauce Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables