I've been makign this since it first appeared in the magazine. Flavors are reminiscent of the traditional dish with marshmallows on top, but it's not sickeningly sweet and is much more sophisticated. Everyone always loves this dish.
Baked Sweet Potatoes with Apricots and Bourbon
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 283
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Protein: 3g
- Fat: 6.6g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Carbohydrate: 54g
- Fiber: 5.4g
- Sodium: 88mg
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 5 pounds red garnet or jewel sweet potatoes (sometimes sold as yams)
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1. In a small bowl, pour bourbon over dried apricots.
- 2. Scrub sweet potatoes and pierce each in several places with a fork. Place potatoes on oven rack or in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a 350° oven until potatoes are soft when pierced, about 1 1/2 hours. Let stand until cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes.
- 3. Peel the sweet potatoes and place in a large bowl. Add brown sugar, butter, and vanilla to the bowl and mash with a potato masher or a fork until mixture is only slightly chunky. Stir in apricots and bourbon. Spoon into a shallow 2 1/2-quart baking dish and spread level.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, until hot in the center, about 30 minutes. Serve warm.
If you like, you can prepare the dish through step 3 up to 2 days ahead; cover airtight and chill. Unwrap and bake as directed in step 4.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This