Baked Sweet Onions
Photo: William Dickey; Styling: Buffy Hargett
Yield: Makes 4 servings
- 4 green bell peppers
- 4 medium-size sweet onions
- 12 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Garnish: fresh thyme sprigs
- Place bell peppers on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet.
- Broil 5 inches from heat (with electric oven door partially open) about 5 minutes or until bell peppers look blistered.
- Place bell peppers in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; seal and let stand 10 minutes to loosen skins. Peel, seed, and chop bell peppers.
- Cut a thin slice from bottom of each onion, forming a base for onions to stand on. Remove onion centers, leaving 1/2-inch-thick shells. (Reserve centers for other uses.)
- Stir together bell pepper, tomato, and next 6 ingredients; spoon evenly into onion shells. Place onions in a 9-inch square baking dish.
- Bake, covered, at 400° for 50 minutes, and garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This