- 1 pound fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon shortening, melted
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 slices bread
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped celery
- 3/4 pint fresh oysters, drained and chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Dash of dried whole thyme
- 8 red snapper fillets (about 4 pounds)
- Creole Sauce
- Fresh parsley sprigs (optional)
How to Make It
Sauté shrimp, onion, and garlic in shortening in a large skillet about 15 minutes over medium heat.
Sprinkle water over bread; mash and add to shrimp mixture. Add next 8 ingredients; simmer 10 minutes.
Place 4 fillets on a large broiler pan; evenly spoon one-fourth of stuffing mixture on each fillet. Top with reserved fillets, and fasten with wooden picks. Pour Creole Sauce over stuffed fillets.
Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until fillets flake easily when tested with a fork.
Transfer stuffed fillets to a large serving platter; garnish with fresh parsley sprigs, if desired.
Note: 1 (5- to 7-pound) red snapper may be substituted for the fillets.