Rather bland. Maybe swap the Gouda and Cheddar amounts, I even had Extra Sharp. Added a dash of dry mustard and it still lacked taste, maybe it needed more salt. I did not add the ham, possibly the reason it tasted like it needed salt.
Baked Smokin' Macaroni and Cheese
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 453
- Fat: 12.1g
- Saturated fat: 6.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 26.8g
- Carbohydrate: 59.9g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 846mg
- Calcium: 398mg
- 1 pound uncooked cellentani (corkscrew) pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups fat-free milk
- 1 (12-oz.) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded 1.5% reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 ounces fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper, divided
- 1 (8-oz.) package chopped smoked ham
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cups cornflakes cereal, crushed
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare cellentani pasta according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Gradually whisk in flour; cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and evaporated milk until smooth; cook, whisking constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Whisk in Gouda cheese, next 3 ingredients, and 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper until smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in ham and pasta.
- 3. Pour pasta mixture into a 13- x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Stir together crushed cereal, 1 Tbsp. melted butter, and remaining 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper; sprinkle over pasta mixture.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Note: We tested with Barilla Cellentani pasta and Cabot 1.5% Reduced Fat Sharp Cheddar Cheese.
- More Mac and Cheese, Please!
- Pepper Jack Macaroni and Cheese: Substitute 1 1/2 cups 1.5% reduced-fat pepper Jack cheese for Gouda and Cheddar cheeses. Omit ground red pepper, if desired. Stir 1 (4.5-oz.) can chopped green chiles into pasta mixture.
- Per serving (baked with topping): Calories 456; Fat 11.7g (sat 6.6g, mono 1.2g, poly 0.2g); Protein 26.6g; Carb 59.9g; Fiber 2.6g; Chol 44mg; Iron 3mg; Sodium 883mg; Calc 270mg
- Sweet Pea-and-Prosciutto Macaroni and Cheese: Omit ham. Saute 2 oz. thin prosciutto slices, cut into thin strips, in a small skillet over medium-high heat 2 minutes or until slightly browned. Stir prosciutto and 1 cup frozen sweet peas, thawed, into pasta mixture.
- Per serving (baked with topping): Calories 449; Fat 11.2g (sat 6.6g, mono 2.3g, poly 0.3g); Protein 24.9g; Carb 62.6g; Fiber 2.9g; Chol 39mg; Iron 3.3mg; Sodium 688mg; Calc 402mg
- Pimiento Macaroni and Cheese: Substitute 1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese for Gouda and Cheddar cheeses. Stir 1 (4-oz.) jar diced pimiento, drained, into pasta mixture.
- Per serving (baked with topping): Calories 440; Fat 10.5g (sat 5.8g, mono 1.2g, poly 0.2g); Protein 27.4g; Carb 60.8g; Fiber 2.4g; Chol 40mg; Iron 3.2mg; Sodium 817mg; Calc 400mg
- Ham-and-Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese: Stir 1 1/2 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed and coarsely chopped, into pasta mixture.
- Per serving (baked with topping): Calories 459; Fat 12.1g (sat 6.8g, mono 2.3g, poly 0.3g); Protein 27g; Carb 60.7g; Fiber 2.5g; Chol 48mg; Iron 3mg; Sodium 850mg; Calc 402mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles