At 505 calories per serving, this recipe needed a makeover. In the process, I think the flavors came out much more fully. I used equal portions of whole wheat and regular pasta, but only 6 oz. Used button mushrooms rather than expensive shiitakes, and added about 2 TB chopped jalapenos to the pepper mix and used a whole Tablespoon of minced ginger. I also used only 1/2 cup panko and eliminated the butter entirely, spraying the panko with butter-flavored cooking spray. These changes really made the dish and cut the calories by almost 200 per serving! Next time I might add sliced water chestnuts for more crunch and try cutting the sesame oil to 2 tsp. With these changes, it was delicious and perfect for a family meal, potluck, or buffet table.
Baked Sesame Chicken Noodles
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Jan Gautro
Asian vegetables, fresh ginger, and soy sauce recall the taste of lo mein. Break the spaghetti before cooking to make it easier to prepare and serve.
Yield: 4 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 505
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 12.7g
- Saturated fat: 4.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Protein: 32.6g
- Carbohydrate: 60.5g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
- Iron: 8.1mg
- Sodium: 936mg
- Calcium: 92mg
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti or linguine, broken in half
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1 cup red bell pepper strips
- 8 ounces shiitake mushroom caps, sliced
- 2 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cream sherry
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 cups thinly sliced bok choy
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup panko (coarse, dry) breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain well.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add red bell pepper strips and mushrooms; sauté 2 minutes. Add chicken, ginger, and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in soy sauce; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Combine broth and cornstarch, stirring well with a whisk. Add broth mixture to pan, and cook 2 minutes or until mixture is slightly thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in sherry, vinegar, and crushed red pepper. Add pasta, bok choy, green onions, and 2 teaspoons sesame seeds to pan, tossing well to combine. Spoon pasta mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish lightly coated with cooking spray.
- Combine breadcrumbs, butter, and remaining sesame seeds; sprinkle evenly over pasta mixture. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until breadcrumbs begin to brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles