- 1 (16-ounce) package rigatoni or penne pasta
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound collard greens, washed, drained, and chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
How to Make It
Prepare pasta according to directions. Drain and set aside. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
Heat butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; sauté onion 5 minutes or until just brown. Add garlic, and cook about 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low, and add greens; cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes or until greens are tender, stirring occasionally.
Sprinkle greens with flour. Cook uncovered, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Gradually add milk, stirring well. Cook 5 minutes, stirring often, until thickened and smooth. Remove from heat; stir in cooked pasta, mozzarella, and next 5 ingredients. Place into prepared dish, and sprinkle evenly with Parmesan.
Bake at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes.