Just made this for dinner & even my picky eater 11 yr old loved it! I substituted leftover mashed potatoes for the frozen potatoes. Will definitely add this to the family favorites.
Baked Potato Soup
Mashed potatoes serve as the base for this creamy Baked Potato Soup. Be sure to provide all of your favorite baked potato toppers to go along with this warm bowl of comfort.
More From Southern Living
Total: 40 Minutes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 extra-large chicken bouillon cube
- 1 (24-oz.) package frozen steam-and-mash potatoes
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Toppings: cooked and crumbled bacon, shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, sliced green onions
- 1. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring often, 5 to 10 minutes or until golden.
- 2. Sprinkle onion mixture with flour, and stir until coated. Stir in bouillon cube and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, microwave potatoes according to package directions. (Do not add butter or milk.) Stir potatoes, milk, and pepper into onion mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thickened. Serve with desired toppings.
- The Sandwich: Combine 1/4 cup mayonnaise; 2 Tbsp. reduced-fat refrigerated pesto sauce; and 1/3 lb. peeled, cooked, and chopped shrimp. Spoon onto 6 toasted French bread slices. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until browned and bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note