Good recipe. It is really hearty. If you like more of a broth based soup I would recommend leaving out a potato. I read some reviews claiming this was bland, but wanted to try it because it was a healthier version. The milk flour mixture does take longer than the instructions. I added the salt, pepper, bacon, and then three cloves of minced garlic after the milk flour mixture finally started bubbling. I did this so the sauce could cook the flavors into the mixture after it thickens...it didn't make sense to add all of the seasoning almost right before you serve it. I added the potatoes, then the remaining. Added a few more pinches of salt and pepper to taste. in bowl....garnished cheese first, then onions, 1-1.5 inch of bacon thinly cut. Then sprinkled some butchers blend pepper over the bowl. It was good, and the ingredients were cheap (about $5-7)...will make again!!
Baked Potato Soup
Best Soup. "This recipe was originally for our Lighten Up column. Most everyone was happy with it the first time we tried it, but I knew the soup could be better. The soup originally used fat-free sour cream, which I felt gave it a too-tart taste. After tweaking a few ingredients, the recipe now calls for reduced-fat sour cream, and we all are much happier with the results." --Recipe by Ann Taylor Pittman (October 2002)
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 329
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 10.8g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 13.6g
- Carbohydrate: 44.5g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 38mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 587mg
- Calcium: 407mg
- 4 baking potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 3 ounces)
- 6 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) reduced-fat shredded extrasharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions, divided
- 6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- Cracked black pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Pierce potatoes with a fork; bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool. Peel potatoes; coarsely mash.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Place flour in a large Dutch oven; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly (about 8 minutes). Add mashed potatoes, 3/4 cup cheese, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat.
- Stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup onions. Cook over low heat 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated (do not boil). Ladle 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 8 bowls. Sprinkle each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese, 1 1/2 teaspoons onions, and about 1 tablespoon bacon. Garnish with cracked pepper, if desired.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note