- Potato Slices:
- Nonstick cooking spray or olive oil to grease cookie sheets
- 4 large baking potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, oregano, or basil, or 2 tablespoons fresh, finely chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 1/4 cup grated cheese, crumbled bacon, or crumbled sausage
- 1/2 cup red salmon caviar
- 2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, sliced paper-thin and cut into quarters
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350º and lightly grease 2 cookie sheets. Cut the potatoes into 1/4 inch slices and place on the cookie sheets, making sure the slices don't touch.
Using a pastry brush or the back of a spoon, lightly coat potato slices with half the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with half the herbs. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes. Flip the potatoes over and brush with remaining oil, salt, pepper, and the rest of the herbs. Bake another 5 to 8 minutes, or until tender and golden on both sides. Remove from the oven, lightly blot with a paper towel to remove excess oil, and transfer to a serving plate.
For kids: Top each slice with sour cream and salsa, or grated cheese, or crumbled bacon or sausage. For adults: Use sour cream and red caviar, plus chives and a lemon slice to garnish.
Pre-party prep: Have toppings ready in bowls; cover with foil and refrigerate until ready to serve. Bring disposable cookie sheets, and slice and prepare the potatoes once you get to the party.
How kids can help: Brush the potato slices with oil, sprinkle with seasonings, and spoon toppings on cooked slices.