I used one cup non fat milk and about 2-3 T of full fat sour cream... made it creamy and delicious! Also used red potatoes and turkey bacon... definitely a keeper!
Baked Potato-and-Broccoli Soup
Sherry's original potato-cheese soup recipe used butter, cream cheese, and cream of mushroom soup. We lightened hers by using lower-fat ingredients and adding broccoli and onions for fiber, while still maintaining the rich flavor with freshly shredded cheese and bacon pieces.
More From Southern Living
- Calories: 223
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated fat: 4.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 17.3g
- Carbohydrate: 20.3g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 31mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 667mg
- Calcium: 395mg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (14 1/4-ounce) cans low-sodium fat-free chicken broth, divided
- 3 cups peeled, cubed potato (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 (8-ounce) block 2% reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 7 teaspoons shredded 2% reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- 7 teaspoons fully cooked bacon pieces
- 7 teaspoons chopped green onions
- Whisk together flour and 1/3 cup chicken broth until smooth.
- Combine remaining chicken broth and next 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Gradually stir in flour mixture. Cook, stirring often, 5 minutes.
- Stir in milk and 8 ounces shredded cheese. Cook mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until cheese melts. Top each serving of soup with 1 teaspoon cheese, 1 teaspoon bacon pieces, and 1 teaspoon chopped green onions.
- Note: We recommend freshly shredded cheese (versus the preshredded variety) for additional creaminess and even melting.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note