The beans in this recipe are raw. It seems that a step in their cooking was left out.
Baked Pork Chimichangas
Lean shredded pork and pinto beans combine with south-of-the-border ingredients like green chilies and picante sauce in these from-scratch chimichangas. They can also be made ahead of time and frozen. From field editor LaDonna Reed: Ponca City, Oklahoma. Recipe published in Taste of Home December/January 2004.
Stand: 1 Hour
- 1 pound(s) dried pinto beans
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 pounds), trimmed
- 3 4-ounce can(s) chopped green chilies
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup(s) chili powder
- 1/2 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 30 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 4 cup(s) (16 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 cup(s) picante sauce
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoon(s) water
- • Place beans in a soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- • Place roast in a Dutch oven. In a bowl, combine chillies, onion, chili powder and beans. Spoon over roast. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours. Stir in broth; cover and bake 30-45 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Increase oven temperature to 350°.
- • Remove meat and shred with two forks; set aside. Mash bean mixture; stir in shredded pork. Spoon 1/3 cup mixture down the center of each tortilla; top with 2 tablespoons cheese and 1 tablespoon picante sauce. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up. Place seam side down on two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans coated with cooking spray.
- • In a bowl, whisk egg white and water; brush over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Serve immediately or cool, wrap and freeze for up to 3 months.
- • To use frozen chimichangas: Place chimichangas on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note