- 5 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 small zucchini, stemmed, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/4-in.-thick half-moons
- 1 medium yellow onion, halved lengthwise, then cut into thin wedges
- 1 medium yellow, red, or orange bell pepper, cut lengthwise into thin slices
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, freshly ground black pepper, and red chile flakes
- 2 tubes (16 oz. each) prepared polenta, sliced into 1/2-in.-thick rounds
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, drained and sliced into 1/4-in.-thick rounds
- calories 385
- caloriesfromfat 51 %
- protein 13 g
- fat 22 g
- satfat 7.7 g
- carbohydrate 32 g
- fiber 4.6 g
- sodium 831 mg
- cholesterol 33 mg
How to Make It
Preheat broiler to high. Heat 3 tbsp. oil in a 2- to 3-qt. saucepan set over medium heat, then add tomatoes and oregano and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, heat 1 tbsp. oil over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, onion, bell pepper, garlic, salt, pepper, and chile flakes, and stir to combine. Cover pan, lower heat to medium, and cook until vegetables soften, about 10 minutes. Add tomato sauce and simmer 10 minutes.
While sauce is cooking, pour remaining 1 1/2 tbsp. oil into a 9- by 13-in. baking pan and tilt to coat bottom. Add polenta slices to pan and turn to coat with oil, then arrange slices lengthwise in 3 slightly overlapping rows. Broil polenta about 4 in. from heating element until golden brown and crispy, 10 to 15 minutes.
Pour sauce over broiled polenta, then arrange mozzarella slices over the top. Broil until cheese is melted and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.