Baked Polenta with Mushrooms and Gorgonzola
More From Real Simple
Amount per serving
- Calories: 279
- Calories from fat: 58%
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 31mg
- Sodium: 966mg
- Carbohydrate: 22g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugars: 1g
- Protein: 8g
- 1 1/2 cups instant polenta
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus more for the dish
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) cream cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds pounds cremini or button mushrooms, stems discarded and caps thinly sliced
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- Heat oven to 350° F.
Bring 4 1/2 cups water to a boil. Whisking constantly, slowly add the polenta. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt and the butter. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the cream cheese and 1/2 cup of the Gorgonzola.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, over medium-high heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add half the mushrooms and cook for 6 minutes. Add half the shallot and cook for 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining oil, mushrooms, and shallot. Season the mushrooms with the pepper, thyme, and the remaining salt.
Butter an 8- or 9-inch baking dish or eight 6-ounce ramekins. Stir 2/3 of the mushrooms into the polenta and transfer to the prepared dish or ramekins. Top with the remaining mushrooms and Gorgonzola. Bake, uncovered, until the Gorgonzola has melted, about 15 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables