I added a little salt and sprinkled my plate with crushed red pepper.
Baked Penne with Turkey
More From Oxmoor House
Total: 1 Hour, 10 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 374
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 11.3g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 31g
- Carbohydrate: 36.2g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 563mg
- Calcium: 180mg
- 12 ounces uncooked penne (tube-shaped pasta)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (8-ounce) packages presliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon water
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 cups chopped cooked turkey breast
- 1 cup frozen petite green peas, thawed
- 4 ounces grated fresh Parmesan cheese (about 1 cup), divided
- Cooking spray
- Thyme leaves (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and return to pan. Cover and keep warm.
- 3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add mushrooms; cook 8 minutes or until browned and tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in sherry, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook 1 minute or until liquid evaporates. Remove mushrooms from pan. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté over medium heat 4 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon water; cook 1 minute or until tender, stirring constantly.
- 4. Place flour in a large saucepan; gradually add vegetable broth and next 4 ingredients (through pepper), stirring with a whisk until blended. Place over medium heat; cook until thick (about 5 minutes), stirring constantly. Add butter, stirring until melted. Add sauce, mushrooms, onion mixture, turkey, peas, and 1/2 cup cheese to pasta, stirring until cheese melts. Pour mixture into a 13 x 9inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- 5. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. Garnish with thyme, if desired.
- Kids Can Help: Kids can combine the sauce, turkey, peas, onion mixture, and mushrooms with the pasta, and then sprinkle the cheese on top before it bakes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This