This is a weekly staple in my house. The only changes I've made is to double the garlic and I use whole wheat rigatoni.
Baked Pasta with Sausage, Tomatoes, and Cheese
This easy, cheesy pasta recipe features ziti, turkey sausage, canned tomatoes, and fresh basil. It's a perfect pasta dish for busy weeknights.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 413
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 11.8g
- Saturated fat: 6.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 24.1g
- Carbohydrate: 53g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- Iron: 7.9mg
- Sodium: 941mg
- Calcium: 265mg
- 1 (1-pound) package uncooked ziti (short tube-shaped pasta)
- 1 pound hot turkey Italian sausage links
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans petite-diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain the pasta, and set aside.
- Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage, onion, and garlic in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Add the tomato paste, salt, pepper, and tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine cooked pasta, sausage mixture, and basil. Place half of the pasta mixture in a 4-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Top with half of mozzarella and half of Parmesan. Repeat layers. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles