Made this tonight with one of our favorite steak recipes. We were just not impressed and rated it a 5.5 out of ten. I have a grilled onion recipe that is much easier and quicker that I think tastes 100 times better. It just seemed to miss the mark.
Baked Onions with Feta
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 106
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 3.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 4.5g
- Carbohydrate: 15.9g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Iron: 0.5mg
- Sodium: 306mg
- Calcium: 64mg
- 4 medium Vidalia or other sweet onions
- Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- Dash of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Peel onions, leaving root ends intact. Trim top third of each onion; reserve for another use. Arrange onions, cut sides down, in an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray; add chicken broth. Cover pan with foil; bake at 450° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes. Carefully turn onions over with a spatula; bake an additional 30 minutes or until onions are soft and liquid has almost evaporated. Remove from oven.
- Preheat broiler.
- Combine feta, breadcrumbs, thyme, and pepper; stir with a fork until well blended. Gently pat cheese mixture evenly onto cut sides of onions. Broil onions until cheese mixture begins to brown (about 1 minute).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables