- 1 (14.5-ounce) box multigrain elbow pasta
- 6 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 4 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cups fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Garnish: grated Parmesan cheese
How to Make It
Cook pasta in boiling water to cover over medium-high heat 6 to 7 minutes. Drain and keep warm.
Bring milk to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Remove saucepan from heat.
Melt butter in another medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and nutmeg, and cook 1 minute or just until flour is light brown. Whisk in hot milk. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to low, and add Gorgonzola cheese; stirring until melted. Remove from heat.
Sauté shallots in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until golden. Add spinach and tomatoes; cook 3 minutes or just until spinach is barely wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Toss together pasta, Gorgonzola mixture, and shallot mixture. Pour into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
Bake at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbly. Garnish, if desired.