Awesome! I used whole wheat panko, one egg and light string cheese, which didn't melt quite as much as part-skim would but was still delicious. I also took the advice of another reviewer and rubbed a little cornstarch on the sticks before coating in egg and the panko stuck very well. I had left over panko, though, enough to coat two more sticks, which makes me wonder if the coating was meant to be thicker. Great for a healthy snack to share with my sister, who had been craving these all day!
Baked Mozzarella Bites
Serve this quick after-school snack to your kids as an alternative to traditional fried cheesesticks.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 18 Minutes
- Calories: 91
- Fat: 5.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 7.2g
- Carbohydrate: 6.7g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
- Iron: 0.3mg
- Sodium: 162mg
- Calcium: 162mg
- 1/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 3 (1-ounce) sticks part-skim mozzarella string cheese
- 3 tablespoons egg substitute
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup lower-sodium marinara sauce (such as McCutcheon's)
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 2. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add 1/3 cup panko to pan, and cook for 2 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and place the panko in a shallow dish.
- 3. Cut mozzarella sticks into 1-inch pieces. Working with one piece at a time, dip cheese in egg substitute; dredge in panko. Place cheese on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 3 minutes or until the cheese is softened and thoroughly heated.
- 4. Pour the marinara sauce into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until thoroughly heated, stirring after 30 seconds. Serve with mozzarella pieces.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note