We loved these & they're as good as the fried in restaurants, but feel lighter & "cleaner" to eat, if that makes sense. These were NOT sticks - they melted into patties, & we're surprised this wasn't acknowledged or remedied in the recipe. Next time we'll put them in the freezer before baking (not sure how long - experiment w/the time), as that should help them keep their shape - restaurants do this before frying their mozzarella sticks. But the shape doesn't matter when it tastes so good, & these are a real treat as a substitute for fried. We tried them w/panko & corn flake crumbs, & both were great in their own way (panko: more crunchy, corn flake crumbs: finer & coat better). When coating, 1 person should do the egg mixture dipping, & another the crumb dipping, as that will help the crumbs stick better (eggy hands will make a mess of the crumbs) - but the idea is to have a light coat anyway. Add Italian seasoning to crumbs for more flavor (no salt necessary - cheese adds enuf salt).
Baked Mozzarella Bites
Serve this quick after-school snack to your kids as an alternative to traditional fried cheesesticks.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 18 Minutes
- Calories: 91
- Fat: 5.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 7.2g
- Carbohydrate: 6.7g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
- Iron: 0.3mg
- Sodium: 162mg
- Calcium: 162mg
- 1/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 3 (1-ounce) sticks part-skim mozzarella string cheese
- 3 tablespoons egg substitute
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup lower-sodium marinara sauce (such as McCutcheon's)
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 2. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add 1/3 cup panko to pan, and cook for 2 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and place the panko in a shallow dish.
- 3. Cut mozzarella sticks into 1-inch pieces. Working with one piece at a time, dip cheese in egg substitute; dredge in panko. Place cheese on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 3 minutes or until the cheese is softened and thoroughly heated.
- 4. Pour the marinara sauce into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until thoroughly heated, stirring after 30 seconds. Serve with mozzarella pieces.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note