Baked Lentils with Mushrooms
If your low-carb plan restricts carrots, you can leave them out and add 1 1/2 cups diced celery.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup lentil mixture, 1/2 cup rice, and 1 tablespoon feta cheese)
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 285
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 5.2g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 12.9g
- Carbohydrate: 50.2g
- Fiber: 10.5g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 3.9mg
- Sodium: 402mg
- Calcium: 88mg
- 1 cup uncooked brown basmati rice
- 8 1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 cup lentils
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups diagonally sliced carrot
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup (1.3 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1. Combine rice and 2 1/4 cups water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Let rice stand 10 minutes.
- 2. Combine 6 cups water and lentils in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid.
- 3. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 4. Heat oil in a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add carrot and mushrooms; sauté 6 minutes or until mushrooms are lightly browned.
- 5. Combine lentils, reserved cooking liquid, mushroom mixture, tomatoes, and next 5 ingredients. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 400° for 30 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf. Spoon lentil mixture over rice; sprinkle with cheese.
- carbo rating: 40
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note