- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 6 lemons)
- 3/4 cup fat-free Italian dressing
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups (1/4-inch) red bell pepper strips
- 1 cup (1/4-inch) green bell pepper strips
- 1 cup (1/4-inch) yellow bell pepper strips
- 3 chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 chicken leg quarters (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 12 (1/8-inch-thick) slices lemon (about 1 lemon)
- Cooking spray
- calories 216
- caloriesfromfat 28 %
- fat 6.7 g
- satfat 1.8 g
- monofat 2.4 g
- polyfat 1.6 g
- protein 30.2 g
- carbohydrate 9 g
- fiber 1.7 g
- cholesterol 91 mg
- iron 1.7 mg
- sodium 385 mg
- calcium 28 mg
How to Make It
To prepare the sauce, combine the first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Cover and chill 1/2 cup sauce.
To prepare the chicken, combine remaining 1 cup sauce, bell peppers, and chicken in a large bowl, and toss to coat. Cover chicken mixture, and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 400°.
Remove chicken from bowl, and discard the sauce. Loosen the skin from the breast halves and leg quarters by inserting fingers, gently pushing between the skin and meat. Insert 2 lemon slices under loosened skin of each chicken piece. Place the chicken pieces, loosened skin sides up, on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Spread the bell peppers on broiler pan around chicken. Bake at 400° for 50 minutes or until the chicken is done. Remove the skin from the chicken. Arrange chicken and bell peppers on a platter, and keep warm.
Place 1/2 cup chilled sauce in a small saucepan, and cook over medium heat 3 minutes or until warm. Pour warm sauce over the baked chicken and bell peppers.