I added mushrooms and subbed capers for the olives. Good healthy recipe!! Will make again. Very tasty!
Baked Italian-Style Cauliflower
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: about 2 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Total: 28 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 306
- Fat: 14.9g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 16.3g
- Carbohydrate: 46.8g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 33.9mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 667mg
- Calcium: 145mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 ounces lean ground sirloin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups lower-sodium marinara sauce (such as McCutcheon's)
- 2 ounces pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds cauliflower, cut into florets
- Cooking spray
- 1 ounce French bread baguette, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh pecorino Romano cheese
- 1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic; sauté for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in beef. Sprinkle with salt and peppers, and sauté 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in sauce and olives.
- 2. Preheat broiler.
- 3. Steam cauliflower 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Place cauliflower in an 11 x 7-inch broiler-safe baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with sauce mixture.
- 4. Place bread in a mini chopper; pulse until coarse crumbs form. Combine crumbs and cheese; sprinkle over cauliflower mixture. Broil 4 minutes or until browned.
- Wine Match: When in Rome, drink like the Romans: A light, easy-drinking Italian red with good acidity pairs well with the tomato-based sauce and beef in this Italian-style recipe. Try Castello Banfi's Col di Sasso 2008 ($8), a soft and fruity blend of cabernet sauvignon and sangiovese, which has a hint of earthiness that enhances the olives and cauliflower. --Gretchen Roberts
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles