Baked Huevos Rancheros
Photo: Pernille Pedersen
Traditional huevos rancheros are fried eggs served over tortillas and smothered in sauce and cheese. Here, Grace Parisi bakes eggs, tortilla chips and cheese in a seasoned tomato sauce in individual gratin dishes. For more sophisticated eaters, swap pepper Jack for the Monterey Jack to get a spicy kick.
Yield: 4 servings
More From Food & Wine
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups tortilla chips
- 8 large eggs
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, garlic and oregano. Season with salt and pepper and cook over high heat, stirring, until lightly browned, 5 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and water and simmer for 5 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Spoon the sauce into 4 individual, shallow baking dishes and arrange the tortilla chips around the sides. Crack 2 eggs into each dish and sprinkle with the cheese. Set the dishes on a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the egg whites are set and the yolks are still runny. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve right away.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This