CL had this prep, not recipe, in the Sep13 issue. It incl SingaporeKel's tip about the chopsticks -- which we used this weekend and it worked great. We inserted slivers of garlic between the slices and subbed olive oil for butter. Simple & excellent. (If your potatoes are small, also saw an online tip to put the potato in the bowl of a large kitchen spoon, and that will stop the knife too.)
Baked Hasselback Potatoes
This recipe, adapted from one served at Stockholm's popular old Restaurant Hasselbacken, proves just how easy and delicious potatoes can be. For best results, choose oblong potatoes of uniform size and trim if needed so they'll lie flat without wobbling as you cut into them. Prep: 15 minutes, Bake: 55 minutes.
- 4 medium all-purpose potatoes (6 ounces each), peeled
- 1/3 cup butter, melted and divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Slice each potato crosswise at 1/8-inch intervals, cutting to within 1/4 inch of the bottom.
- 2. Arrange potatoes spoke-fashion in a buttered 10-inch pie dish. Drizzle 2 tablespoons melted butter evenly over potatoes, and sprinkle with salt.
- 3. Bake potatoes at 425° on middle oven rack for 30 minutes. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over potatoes, drizzle with remaining melted butter, and bake 20 more minutes.
- 4. Sprinkle cheese over potatoes, baste with butter in pan, and bake 5 more minutes or until potatoes are golden.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note