Baked Grits with Country Ham, Wild Mushrooms, Fresh Thyme, and Parmesan
This is an adaptation of a signature appetizer at Stitt's Highlands Bar and Grill.
Yield: 8 servings
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups stone-ground yellow grits
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 dried chile pepper, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Remaining ingredients:
- 1 ounce country ham, cut into julienne strips
- 2 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon water
- 3 thyme sprigs
- Additional thyme sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- To prepare grits, bring water and salt to a boil in a large saucepan; gradually stir in grits. Reduce heat; simmer 30 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in 1/4 cup cheese and white pepper. Stir in egg.
- Spoon 1/2 cup grits mixture into each of 8 (4-ounce) ramekins or custard cups coated with cooking spray. Place ramekins in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan; add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch. Bake at 325° for 20 minutes. Remove ramekins from pan; cool completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare sauce, bring shallots, wine, 1/4 cup broth, vinegar, bay leaf, and chile to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook until reduced to 1 tablespoon liquid (about 6 minutes). Strain mixture through a sieve over a bowl; discard solids. Return liquid to pan.
- Combine 1/4 cup broth and cornstarch. Add cornstarch mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; add butter and cream, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Stir in 2 tablespoons cheese, juice, and black pepper.
- Cook the ham in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat 1 minute. Add mushrooms, 1 tablespoon shallots, 1 teaspoon water, and 3 thyme sprigs; sauté 3 minutes or just until mushrooms are tender.
- Loosen edges of grits with a knife or rubber spatula. Place a plate, upside down, on top of each ramekin; invert onto plates. Spoon 1 tablespoon sauce onto each plate; sprinkle ham mixture evenly among plates. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This