Baked Grits and Greens With Bacon
Prepare through Step 2 up to a day ahead; cover and chill. Remove from the fridge, add the buttered crushed croutons, and let stand 30 minutes before baking.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 30 Minutes
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (10-oz.) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup bottled creamy Caesar dressing
- 1 (3-oz.) package bacon bits
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 cups coarsely crushed garlic-flavored croutons
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bring garlic salt and 4 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; gradually stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat, and stir in onion and 3 Tbsp. butter.
- 2. Whisk together eggs and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir about one-fourth of grits mixture gradually into egg mixture; add remaining grits mixture, stirring constantly. Pour into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- 3. Melt remaining 2 Tbsp. butter, and toss with coarsely crushed croutons; sprinkle over grits mixture.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until mixture is set and croutons are golden brown.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Oscar Mayer Real Bacon Bits.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note