Baked Goat Cheese with Spring Lettuce Salad
The classic California salad. A signature dish at Berkeley's Chez Panisse, it's been on the restaurant's cafe menu for more than 25 years. Prep and Cook Time: about 30 minutes, plus marinating time (optional). Notes: You can skip marinating the cheese, but it won't be nearly as flavorful. Panko (crunchy Japanese bread crumbs) are available at most big supermarkets.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 703
- Calories from fat: 65%
- Protein: 25g
- Fat: 51g
- Saturated fat: 16g
- Carbohydrate: 38g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sodium: 804mg
- Cholesterol: 39mg
- 12 ounces fresh, mild goat cheese (such as Haystack's Boulder Chèvre)
- Leaves from 4 sprigs thyme, chopped
- Leaves from 1 small sprig rosemary, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup panko (see Notes)
- 1/2 baguette, cut into eight 1/4-in.-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons walnut or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound baby lettuces or salad mix, washed and dried
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1. Shape the goat cheese into eight 1-in.-thick disks and put in a container just big enough to hold them in one layer. Sprinkle cheese with herbs and pour on olive oil. Cover and chill at least 12 hours and up to a week (see Notes). One hour before baking, pop them in the freezer to firm up.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400°. Remove cheese from marinade and roll all sides in panko, pressing gently so the crumbs adhere. Arrange on a large baking sheet and bake until golden, about 15 minutes, turning over halfway through. Add baguette slices for last 5 minutes of baking.
- 3. Whisk together vinegar, salt, pepper, and walnut oil. Put lettuces in a large bowl, drizzle with just enough dressing to coat, and toss gently and thoroughly.
- 4. Divide lettuces among 4 plates, sprinkle with walnuts, and to each plate add 2 goat-cheese disks and a baguette slice. Serve immediately.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This