This was very good! I realize this was originally an "inspired vegetarian" recipe, and you may have found this as a result of a search for vegetarian recipes...however, if you are not a vegetarian, may I suggest the addition of 4-6 strips of crumbled bacon? Delicious!
Baked Goat Cheese and Roasted Winter Squash over Garlicky Fettuccine
The goat cheese rounds are baked at a high temperature to crisp the breadcrumb coating and heat the cheese just enough to melt when you cut into one.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 423
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 14.1g
- Saturated fat: 7.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 17.8g
- Carbohydrate: 54.7g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 439mg
- Calcium: 290mg
- 6 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled kabocha or butternut squash (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (4-ounce) packages goat cheese
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 pound uncooked fettuccine
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Rosemary sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place squash and bell pepper in a large bowl. Add 1 tablespoon oil; toss well. Arrange vegetables in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt, rosemary, and black pepper. Bake at 425° for 40 minutes, stirring once.
- Place goat cheese in freezer 10 minutes. Cut cheese crosswise into 8 equal rounds. Place breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl. Dredge each round in breadcrumbs; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 6 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water. Return pasta to pan; add reserved pasta cooking water, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, red pepper, and garlic, tossing to coat. Place 1 1/4 cups pasta in each of 8 shallow bowls; top each serving with about 1/2 cup squash mixture and 1 goat cheese round. Garnish with rosemary sprigs, if desired.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note