- 1 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt (such as Fage Total Classic)
- 1 tablespoon tahini (sesame-seed paste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup uncooked bulgur
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- Cooking spray
- Remaining ingredients:
- 6 (2.8-ounce) Mediterranean Style white flatbreads (such as Toufayan)
- 12 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- calories 388
- caloriesfromfat 18 %
- fat 7.7 g
- satfat 3.5 g
- monofat 1.6 g
- polyfat 1.6 g
- protein 18 g
- carbohydrate 64.6 g
- fiber 14.7 g
- cholesterol 7 mg
- iron 5.2 mg
- sodium 535 mg
- calcium 181 mg
How to Make It
To prepare sauce, combine the first 3 ingredients, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
To prepare falafel, bring 3/4 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan; add bulgur to pan. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 30 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
Preheat oven to 425°.
Combine chickpeas and the next 9 ingredients (through garlic) in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until well blended and smooth (mixture will be wet). Spoon chickpea mixture into a large bowl; stir in bulgur.
Divide mixture into 12 equal portions (about 1/4 cup each); shape each portion into a 1/4-inch-thick patty. Place patties on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes on each side or until browned. Spread about 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce onto each flatbread. Top each flatbread with 2 falafel patties, 2 tomato slices, and chopped cilantro, if desired.