Good. Much work. Will make again. Using less feta.
Baked Eggplant with Savory Cheese Stuffing
Randy Mayor; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
Eggplant makes a satisfying vegetarian dinner when stuffed with tomato and peppers and served with rice. Feta cheese adds tang and body to the stuffing.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 stuffed eggplant half)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 178
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 8.3g
- Carbohydrate: 28.4g
- Fiber: 8.5g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 749mg
- Calcium: 126mg
- 2 medium eggplants, each cut in half lengthwise (about 2 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 1 (1-ounce) slice white bread
- 1 teaspoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped seeded plum tomato
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Score cut side of each eggplant half by making 4 crosswise cuts. Place the eggplant halves, cut sides down, on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven; cool on pan 10 minutes. Carefully remove pulp, leaving a 1/3-inch-thick shell; reserve eggplant shells. Chop pulp.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1/2 cup. Drizzle the breadcrumbs with olive oil, and pulse to combine.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in the chopped eggplant, bell pepper, tomato, oregano, and garlic; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in cheese, parsley, salt, and black pepper. Stuff each eggplant shell with about 1/2 cup onion mixture; sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture. Place on a baking sheet; bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated and lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note