- 2 medium eggplants, each cut in half lengthwise (about 2 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 1 (1-ounce) slice white bread
- 1 teaspoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped seeded plum tomato
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- calories 178
- caloriesfromfat 28 %
- fat 5.5 g
- satfat 2.6 g
- monofat 2 g
- polyfat 0.6 g
- protein 8.3 g
- carbohydrate 28.4 g
- fiber 8.5 g
- cholesterol 8 mg
- iron 1.6 mg
- sodium 749 mg
- calcium 126 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°.
Score cut side of each eggplant half by making 4 crosswise cuts. Place the eggplant halves, cut sides down, on a foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven; cool on pan 10 minutes. Carefully remove pulp, leaving a 1/3-inch-thick shell; reserve eggplant shells. Chop pulp.
Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1/2 cup. Drizzle the breadcrumbs with olive oil, and pulse to combine.
Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in the chopped eggplant, bell pepper, tomato, oregano, and garlic; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in cheese, parsley, salt, and black pepper. Stuff each eggplant shell with about 1/2 cup onion mixture; sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture. Place on a baking sheet; bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated and lightly browned.