This was a fun meal for our family. It was a bit of work, but worth it. Not as crunchy as a fried egg roll, but what are you gonna do. I took the advise of another review and turned the rolls over halfway through their baking time. I also doubled the recipe and only filled 13 egg roll wraps, which I recommend, because I can't imagine those egg rolls with any less filling. After reading that they were a bit bland I added a dash of salt and substituted one TB fish sauce in place of one of the TB of soy. The dip is great. We also used sweet & sour. Will def make again.
Baked Egg Rolls
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
Everyone loves egg rolls! They're the quintessential Chinese side dish. This recipe earns extra kudos for reducing the fat by substituting ground turkey and baking–not frying–the wraps.
Yield: 14 servings (serving size: 1 roll and about 1 tablespoon sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 79
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 5.7g
- Carbohydrate: 8g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 532mg
- Calcium: 18mg
- Egg rolls:
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 14 egg roll wrappers
- 1 large egg white
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Combine celery and carrot in food processor, and pulse 10 times or until finely chopped.
- Combine celery mixture and cabbage in a medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; vent. Microwave at high 5 minutes; drain.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add turkey; cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cabbage mixture, 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce, and pepper. Cover and chill 15 minutes.
- Place 1 egg roll wrapper at a time onto work surface with 1 corner pointing toward you (wrapper should look like a diamond). Trim 1 inch off right and left corners of wrapper. Spoon 3 tablespoons turkey filling into center of wrapper. Fold lower corner of egg roll wrapper over filling. Fold in trimmed corners. Moisten top corner of wrapper with egg white; roll up jelly-roll fashion. Repeat procedure with remaining wrappers, turkey filling, and egg white.
- Lightly coat egg rolls with cooking spray, and place, seam side down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 18 minutes or until golden brown.
- To prepare sauce, combine 3/4 cup soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, and 1 tablespoon ginger; serve with egg rolls. Garnish with green onions, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers