- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, divided
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Red pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 10 hard-cooked eggs, thinly sliced
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
How to Make It
Sauté onion, green pepper, and celery in 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet until tender. Stir in tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until mixture is thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and set aside.
Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Add Worcestershire sauce and remaining salt; stir well. Stir in vegetables and eggs. Spoon into a lightly greased 2- quart casserole.
Combine breadcrumbs and 2 tablespoons melted butter; sprinkle over casserole. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serve immediately.